What did she do? Went right ahead and bought a BAG of lemons, practically a case. Her hummus recipe only required two but the store was having a special which meant that a whole bag was less than the price of two individual lemons. So of course she bought the bag, and we were soon searching the internet for lemon dessert recipes. See what happens when you're frugal? You make your daughter look like a beached whale on Spring Break!
Alright, maybe not, but she did tempt me with the idea of making lemony-sweet treats. And my resolve clearly isn't the strongest, it got toppled by the combination of only 5 ingredients.
Is it bad for me to say that it was worth it? Because it totally was. That lemon flavor always puts me in the mood for some sunshine, so maybe she was really just helping put me in the ray catching mood? But then she went and made a sinful breakfast treat (to be shared later), which I logically ate half of.
That woman will be the death me.
Cut butter into cookie mix.
Stir in egg.
Press half of dough mixture into pan and bake.
Mix together remaining ingredients.
Top cooked crust with lemon mixture.
Evenly top with remaining cookie crumble.
Bake until golden brown.
Recipe from here.
Short Cut Ingredients:
1/2 cup cold butter
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® oatmeal cookie mix
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan with non stick spray.
- In a large bowl cut the cold butter into the cookie mix with a fork or pastry blender.
- Stir in the egg until the mixture is crumbly.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the greased pan and bake it in the oven for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice until thick and combined.
- Spread lemon mixture over baked crust and evenly crumble remaining dough on the top.
- Bake another 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.
EDIT: So after some pinterest creeping I have noticed that a lot of you guys want a from scratch version, so here it is! I myself have not tried this version but it is from The Pioneer Woman, so it has to be good!
From Scratch Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup butter, slightly softened
1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup oats
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and
lightly grease a 8x11 pan.
- In a large bowl mix the butter and brown sugar until they are well combined.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add oats and dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Press half of the oat mixture into pan. In a small bowl mix together sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Spread evenly on top of the oat mixture in the pan. Top with the remaining oat mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set. Cut into bars and store in the refrigerator.